Explorations

San Josè Cemetery – Granada

San Josè Cemetery – Granada

The San José City Cemetery was built in 1805 and it is located in the historic and cultural complex of the Alhambra in Granada, it's near the Generalife's greenery and offers a stunning view of Sierra Nevada. Throughout its history, the cemetery has been subjected to several extensions that have produced a particular structure, his areas are clearly differentiated and characterized by sculptures, underground tombs, and niches. For this reason, the structure does not appear harmonious but the lush vegetation offers continuity between the different parts.

Read more...

Chinese Cemetery – Manila – Philippines

Chinese Cemetery – Manila – Philippines

The Chinese cemetery of Manila is located in the north of the town, in Santa Cruz. In this cemetery are buried generations of Chinese who lived in Manila. It was common, among the richest part of Chinese population, to be buried with the body all the amenities the person has enjoyed in life. In particular, the everlasting life should reflect the way in which he lived, and that's why in the cemetery there are real mausoleums with air conditioning, bathrooms with exhaust and luxurious chandeliers... It is also not rare to find real dogs who guard the graves and it happens even to see the fighting...

Read more...

Cemetery of Amandola – Fermo – Italy

Cemetery of Amandola – Fermo – Italy

The cemetery of Amandola, a village in the province of Fermo, is a small oasis of peace surrounded and protected suggestively from the Sibillini Mountains, this last theater of numerous legends related to the occult. Dating from around 1800, this little pearl contains several monumental architectural styles: simple, linear, but also sought after. Over the years there has been expansion works and the new buildings are situated near the main entrance, but it is the old part that fascinates and draws. Arranged in terraces and perched at the foot of a hill. At the sides and out of the monumental chapels,...

Read more...

Mount Hope Cemetery – Bangor – Maine

Mount Hope Cemetery – Bangor – Maine

The rural cemetery movement in the United States began in 1831, with the opening of Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Mass. Before this movement occurred, urban cemeteries had been in the midst of towns and cities and were often crowded and virtually grassless. With increasing urbanization, city dwellers began to be concerned about the need for natural beauty. A romantic type landscape was sought as a counterbalance to the disturbing aspects of the city landscape. At Mount Auburn, a large tract of land was converted into a romantic park with ponds, bowers, grottos, and a great variety of planting....

Read more...

Mount Auburn Cemetery

Mount Auburn Cemetery

Mount Auburn Cemetery in Massachusetts, was founded in 1831 as "America's first garden cemetery" or "rural cemetery". With classical monuments set in a rolling landscaped terrain,it marked a distinct break with Colonial-era burying grounds and church-affiliated graveyards. The appearance of this type of landscape coincides with the rising popularity of the term "cemetery", derived from the Greek for "a sleeping place." This language and outlook eclipsed the previous harsh view of death and the afterlife embodies by old graveyards and church burial plots.The 174-acre (70 ha) cemetery is important...

Read more...

Tikhvin Cemetery – Saint Petersburg – Russia

Tikhvin Cemetery – Saint Petersburg – Russia

The Tikhvin Cemetery (in Russian Тихвинское кладбище) was originally named 'New Lazarus', and was founded in 1823. In the years 1869-1871 in the north of the cemetery was built the church sanctuary dedicated to the miraculous icon of Our Lady of Tikhvin. Money to build a church in the Byzantine-Russian style were donated by the family Polejaeffs. In 1876, The New Lazarus was renamed Tikhvin Cemetery. The church was closed in 1931. In the years 1935-1937 the Soviet government tried to rebuild and rehabilitate the cemetery (Sandler and Architects Reimers), in connection with the organization...

Read more...

Our Lady of Almudena Cemetery – Madrid – Spain

Our Lady of Almudena Cemetery – Madrid – Spain

Our Lady of Almudena Cemetery is located in the east of Madrid and covers over 120 acres, making it one of the largest in all of Europe. The cemetery was founded in 1880 because of the funeral needs of a city in the process of expansion. Throughout its history it has undergone various enlargements, the last in 1955, and all of them were projected to give the place a cross-shape figure. It has numerous entrances, but the most peculiar is the main one, characterized by a large porch. Due to its long history, the cemetery is made up of old and new areas, where you can sometimes find walls falling...

Read more...

Père Lachaise Cemetery – Paris – France

Père Lachaise Cemetery – Paris – France

The Cemetery named after Père La Chaise, confessor of Louis XIV, is located in the XX arrondissement of Paris. It was built between 1803 and 1804 by Napoleon, who decided to open some cemeteries in his empire in order to safeguard public health. Despite it extends to over forty acres, its appearance is made ​​very pleasant thanks to green spaces that make the place look like a park. Inside there are buried many famous people, such as Fryderyk Chopin, Honoré de Balzac, Auguste Comte, Eugène Delacroix, Baron Haussmann, Oscar Wilde, Guillaume Apollinaire, Marcel Proust, Amedeo Modigliani,...

Read more...

Greyfriars Kirkyard – Edinburgh – Scotland

Greyfriars Kirkyard – Edinburgh – Scotland

Greyfriars Kirkyard is the graveyard surrounding Greyfriars Kirk in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is located at the southern edge of the Old Town, adjacent to George Heriot's School. Burials have been taking place since the late 16th century, and a number of notable Edinburgh residents are interred at Greyfriars. The Kirkyard is operated by City of Edinburgh Council in liaison with a charitable trust, which is linked to but separate from the church. Greyfriars takes its name from the Franciscan friary on the site, which was dissolved in 1559. The churchyard was founded in 1561/2, to replace the churchyard...

Read more...

Old Calton Burial Ground – Edinburgh – Scotland

Old Calton Burial Ground – Edinburgh – Scotland

Old Calton Cemetery (properly called Old Calton Burial Ground) is a graveyard in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is located on Calton Hill, to the north-east of the city centre. The burial ground was opened in 1718, and is the resting place of several notable Edinburgh people, including philosopher David Hume, publisher William Blackwood and clergyman Dr Robert Candlish. It is also the site of the Political Martyrs' Monument, an obelisk erected to the memory of a number of political reformers. The burial ground was altered following the construction of Waterloo Place in 1819, which divided the graveyard...

Read more...