Andrea Pede, Autore a Paths of the Dead's Posts

Mount Hope Cemetery – Bangor – Maine

Mount Hope Cemetery – Bangor – Maine

The rural cemetery movement in the United States began in 1831, with the opening of Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Mass. Before this movement occurred, urban cemeteries had been in the midst of towns and cities and were often crowded and virtually grassless. With increasing urbanization, city dwellers began to be concerned about the need for natural beauty. A romantic type landscape was sought as a counterbalance to the disturbing aspects of the city landscape. At Mount Auburn, a large tract of land was converted into a romantic park with ponds, bowers, grottos, and a great variety of planting....

Read more...

Mount Auburn Cemetery

Mount Auburn Cemetery

Mount Auburn Cemetery in Massachusetts, was founded in 1831 as "America's first garden cemetery" or "rural cemetery". With classical monuments set in a rolling landscaped terrain,it marked a distinct break with Colonial-era burying grounds and church-affiliated graveyards. The appearance of this type of landscape coincides with the rising popularity of the term "cemetery", derived from the Greek for "a sleeping place." This language and outlook eclipsed the previous harsh view of death and the afterlife embodies by old graveyards and church burial plots.The 174-acre (70 ha) cemetery is important...

Read more...

Tikhvin Cemetery – Saint Petersburg – Russia

Tikhvin Cemetery – Saint Petersburg – Russia

The Tikhvin Cemetery (in Russian Тихвинское кладбище) was originally named 'New Lazarus', and was founded in 1823. In the years 1869-1871 in the north of the cemetery was built the church sanctuary dedicated to the miraculous icon of Our Lady of Tikhvin. Money to build a church in the Byzantine-Russian style were donated by the family Polejaeffs. In 1876, The New Lazarus was renamed Tikhvin Cemetery. The church was closed in 1931. In the years 1935-1937 the Soviet government tried to rebuild and rehabilitate the cemetery (Sandler and Architects Reimers), in connection with the organization...

Read more...

Our Lady of Almudena Cemetery – Madrid – Spain

Our Lady of Almudena Cemetery – Madrid – Spain

Our Lady of Almudena Cemetery is located in the east of Madrid and covers over 120 acres, making it one of the largest in all of Europe. The cemetery was founded in 1880 because of the funeral needs of a city in the process of expansion. Throughout its history it has undergone various enlargements, the last in 1955, and all of them were projected to give the place a cross-shape figure. It has numerous entrances, but the most peculiar is the main one, characterized by a large porch. Due to its long history, the cemetery is made up of old and new areas, where you can sometimes find walls falling...

Read more...

Greyfriars Kirkyard – Edinburgh – Scotland

Greyfriars Kirkyard – Edinburgh – Scotland

Greyfriars Kirkyard is the graveyard surrounding Greyfriars Kirk in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is located at the southern edge of the Old Town, adjacent to George Heriot's School. Burials have been taking place since the late 16th century, and a number of notable Edinburgh residents are interred at Greyfriars. The Kirkyard is operated by City of Edinburgh Council in liaison with a charitable trust, which is linked to but separate from the church. Greyfriars takes its name from the Franciscan friary on the site, which was dissolved in 1559. The churchyard was founded in 1561/2, to replace the churchyard...

Read more...

Old Calton Burial Ground – Edinburgh – Scotland

Old Calton Burial Ground – Edinburgh – Scotland

Old Calton Cemetery (properly called Old Calton Burial Ground) is a graveyard in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is located on Calton Hill, to the north-east of the city centre. The burial ground was opened in 1718, and is the resting place of several notable Edinburgh people, including philosopher David Hume, publisher William Blackwood and clergyman Dr Robert Candlish. It is also the site of the Political Martyrs' Monument, an obelisk erected to the memory of a number of political reformers. The burial ground was altered following the construction of Waterloo Place in 1819, which divided the graveyard...

Read more...

Cemetery of Agramonte – Oporto – Portugal

Cemetery of Agramonte – Oporto – Portugal

This cemetery was established in 1855, as a consequence of another cholera epidemic. For some years this cemetery stood as a mere burial ground, without organization. Only in the 1870's it begun to receive monuments, becoming the favourite Oporto cemetery at the end of the 19th century. Its importance is similar to the Prado do Repouso.

Read more...

Communal Monumental Cemetery of Campo Verano – Rome – Italy

Communal Monumental Cemetery of Campo Verano – Rome – Italy

The Verano (officially "Campo Verano Cemetery Monumental City") is the municipal cemetery and monumental center of Rome, located in the Tiburtino area, near  San Lorenzo and near the Basilica of San Lorenzo fuori le mura. It owes its name to the ancient field of  Verani, "gens senatoria" at the time of the Roman Republic.

Read more...